Thursday, June 11, 2009

Camp Adventure

Well, Sweetpea and Bud have been in camp this week. They did not go to camp on base with all the other military kids, nor did they go to the nice Christian camp, Bud was born one year too late to qualify. They went to the local camp in the community of Agat.
We woke up the first day of camp to a massive thunderstorm. Now, although it rains a lot, in the 9 months we've been here this was only the second thunderstorm. The first one lasted a whopping 5 minutes. This however was a full fledged storm. So we all run to the van and take off. First we have to drop Dad on base, then we head out for camp. I have to stop at the mayors office to pay the registration fee and find out where to take the kids. The camp is in the gym by the youth center and as we pull up the bottom falls out of the sky. Luckily we're a little early and no one is there yet so we just sit and wait. Finally, a little after 8, camp is from 8-5, someone shows up to unlock the gym. Now I'm a little concerned about leaving my children here because it is not like camps on the mainland where everything is very structured and organized. I have to sign them in, and I'm still a little nervous. They are the only howlies ( that's what the islanders call white people) in the camp everyone else is local and most of the kids go to school together. But Sweetpea and Bud had already joined the crowd and seemed to be ok. Of course, this is not the first time that we've lived in a place where we were the minority, not too many white Americans can say that. So I take a deep breath and say a little prayer as I'm walking out the door.
(You need to know that when we first got here we saw rainbows with almost every rain, but we haven't seen any for a couple of months now.) When I head toward the van there is a big black cloud hanging over it and as I'm walking to it, still wondering if leaving them here is such a good idea, the cloud parts and there right over my van is part of a rainbow. Wow, I gave Papa a big thank you and finally relaxed. Today is the last day of camp and they have had a blast. They've made a journal and Father's day cards out of local materials. They played ping pong and kick ball. They've learned a traditional Chammorro dance and made a few new friends. Also, today they are on their first "for real" field trip. When you homeschool its not really a field trip because mom is with you. Of course this is not an educational field trip its a fun won. They have gone to Tarza, Guam's water park complete with slides, lazy river and even a small water roller coaster. I'm thankful for this time that we've had apart. Although, I love my children dearly, since we spend 24/7 together we just need a break from each other once in awhile.

Next week we are taking the locals vacation. I'll let you know how that adventure turns out.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! I'm so glad they had such a great time! We miss you guys, and we need more pictures! :) Give everyone hugs from us.

    ReplyDelete