Friday, May 8, 2009

Battling the Jungle

It was one those days. We had a rough week and I promised the kids if they would help with the yard we would go to the beach after lunch.

Well we woke up ready to tackle the yard, but first we had to wage war on ants. We had been battling them in small skirmishes all week. This however, was war. They had come out by the hundreds, there was a big pile in front of the refrigerator, then a black line ran across the floor behind the book shelves and up the wall to the ceiling. When I pulled out the book shelves I found a whole nest! So I got out the spray and won the war, then I had to clean up the mess. Finally 45 minutes later I'm ready to start in the yard.

We had just purchased a used weed eater, that ran well and I was excited to finally get rid of the weeds that I couldn't get with the lawn mower. It started right up and I was just eating up those weeds when I ran out of line. No problem, I thought, I've got extra if I can just figure out how to put it on. Well, 30 minutes later I've got new line and am ready to go. I pull the cord to start the weed eater and it breaks. OK, no problem I'll just cut the grass. So I fill the mower up with gas and get it out of the storage room and am ready to go. Hold on!! The bar that you have to hold down to get it to start is missing. Oh no, this isn't even our mower it belongs to our landlord. Then I remembered he was the one who used it last, trying to cut further down into the jungle. So I go looking for the bar and of course I can't find it. OK I think I'll just fix the weed eater and use it to cut the grass. I get all the screws out but one and it's stripped. Now, I'm close to tears. It had rained a lot and the grass hadn't been cut in 2 weeks and looked more like the jungle than our yard. I am down to my last resort, my reel mower. You know its the kind you push, without a motor, and the blades go around and cut the grass. It works great if you cut the grass often, but this grass was knee high. Then I remembered that Papa never gives us more than we can handle. So I heave a big sigh and get started. I push that mower for about an hour and a half, and I'm not even half finished, and I'm thinking that this time Papa did give me more than I could handle.That's when I heard a clanking and I found the bar that goes on the gas mower. I put that thing back on and 20 minutes later the yard is done. We grab a quick lunch and in an hour I'm enjoying the refreshing waters of the Pacific. Thanking Papa for keeping me going and helping me to appreciate his beautiful creation.

Until the next adventure, I'm blooming here in the jungle.


1 comment:

  1. Just reading this put the biggest smile on my face! How refreshing to remember that HE can handle all things; especially the things that we can't. Keep blogging; your a wonderful writer. I promise to be here more often; and I'd added you to my blog roll (I hope that's ok). I miss you!

    ReplyDelete