Monday, August 17, 2009

Negative Tide

Hi everyone,
Sorry its been so long since I posted. I want to tell you about an interesting thing that happened to us the other day.
Its summer, its hot, we live within minutes of a beach any direction we drive. So one afternoon I told the kids get your swimsuits on grab your towel and your snorkle we're going to the beach for about an hour to cool off.



Well, we go there and to my surprise there was no water. I don't mean it was low tide, I mean the reef was dry except for a few deeper holes. We walked about the length of a football field out to the edge of the reef. It was so cool, there are big holes in the edge so you could look down and see all kinds of fish and living coral. Also, there were small holes where the water sprayed up like a miniture gyzer. Walking out there we saw all kinds of animals that are usually hidden when we are snorkling. Below are some pictures.














This is the edge of the reef, where you see This is called negative tide, it only occurs in the
the nice blue water it drops off to around summer when the moon is full, the water's lower
100 plus feet deep. than normal sea level.

These rocks are usually covered with water. A giant clam.



















an anemone and a sea urchin



a spider starfish
Itwas amazing to walk all the way out to the edge of the reef. God has really shown us his power and creativity since we have been here. These are only a few examples of the creatures we saw. I never knew there were so many different kinds of starfish.
Until next time we are blooming where we're planted here in the negative tide summer of Guam.

No comments:

Post a Comment